Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Social Media - Think long term (5 in a series of 5)

In the previous post in the series I went over what to say, or possibly what not to say. Now that you've gotten started, many ask the question of how do I measure the results of my efforts in social media. The easy answer is it is much harder to measure it quantitatively than say the impact of a website (how many hits/unique visitors/length of stay on page/etc). You won't be able to measure impact immediately no matter what. It takes some time to build up that trust that is so necessary and to make all the connections that will make your social media foray a big hit.

So what can you do. There are metrics you can use. There are things like twitanalyzer, twitttergrader, twittercounter, mrtweet, and others that measure various different things on a twitter profile. A great tool I highly suggest using is bit.ly. Bitly is a URL shortener, but it is much, much more. If you register for an account at bit.ly, all your shortened URLs can be tracked and you can see how many people clicked on them, when, and from where (approx). This is a great tool that can be integrated into other twitter tools to automatically shorten and track your URLs. A word of warning: even if you do this well, it will take time to build up the amount of click backs (clicks on your URLs) that you would like to see.

I have a list of sites and articles on social media metrics on my delicious account at: social media metrics.

Series of 5: Parts 1, 2, 3, 4

1 comment:

  1. Hi Thomas , I took the liberty of dropping in on you & making a neighborly call ( despite the vast miles which may separate us - however , we are all inter-connected within the vestiges of cyberspace I believe :) Now , I had seen your post on Antonio's blog [Woork] concerning your trouble with the Retweet Button . Ok, I have the answer to your small problem here , however : you will have to look very carefully & diligently through your template in order to locate the following code . Once you do locate the following code , you will take the Retweet javascript code and paste it PRECISELY under the code which I will post here for you now . Ok ? Good , let us start then : Go to your dashboard : Select EDIT HTML > CLICK EXPAND WIDGETS> Now : CAREFULLY continue scrolling down throught your Template source code until you locate the following piece of code : <div class='post-header-line-1'/> This code is usually found between midway towards the end of the page so look carefully. Once you do locate it , please take the Retweet JS code : <script type="text/javascript">

    tweetmeme_url = '<data:post.url/>';

    </script>

    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://tweetmeme.com/i/scripts/button.js"> </script>
    and paste it EXACTLY UNDERNEATH . Save your page , and view your blog , your Retweet button will be located either at the top left of top right ( depending ) ; on my one blog it appears on the right & on my other blog it appears on the left side . I assume its got a mind of its own . I hope this has been of help to you . Should you have any problems you can contact me @ my blog page . Catch ya in cyberspace :)

    M. 

    ReplyDelete